Open Position – Java Engineer
At Swoop we’re in the business of serving up dynamic, customized content to millions of Web users through hundreds of different Web sites. We have built a distributed system for high-performance information retrieval, at the heart of which is a community-supported, open-source search engine. It’s topped with our own special sauce for optimizing search result selection, based on continuous feedback from the user base. We are constantly evolving our system to support new types of content, and working to improve the effectiveness of our search optimization. To be successful, we have built a flexible server architecture that enables us to experiment and gain real user feedback without risking outage. As our user base grows, so do the demands on our system for scale and performance. We need a special breed of engineer: versatile, adaptable, and comfortable with straddling the strict, type-safe environment of server-side Java and the fast, loose world of semi-structured data for the Web.
We're looking for a Full Stack Ruby/Rails Engineer to be a core contributor to mission-critical systems. We have three Rails applications, two of which are externally facing. We also use Ruby for background processes that manage key parts of our business. You will design & develop significant new functionality using Ruby 2.0, Rails 4, AngularJS, MongoDB and Redis.
- Excellent coder with a strong command of algorithms, data structures, and object-oriented concepts
- A Software Engineer in the truest sense
- Expert knowledge of the Java language and APIs
- Passion for building high-performance systems
- Experience with information retrieval – search engine or other
- Experience in designing/developing large software systems
- Comfortable in a culture of fast iteration
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance
- Good understanding of Web infrastructure and distributed systems
- Experience using RESTful JSON services
- Attracted by complex problems
Nice to Have
- Web development
- Elasticsearch or Lucene
- Open source project contributions
- Experience with NOSQL databases: MongoDB, Redis, others
- Experience with messaging systems: RabbitMQ, others
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with data analysis and visualization
- Experience with big data
- Experience with the AWS stack/li>
Technologies We Use
What we look for in everyone
- Ambition to make things awesome, not just good enough.
- Positive attitude and desire to work with great people.
- A hunger to learn and grow.
Inquire about this position